Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Swing That Sweet Music!

In a recent attempt to reignite my love of swing dancing, my friend Paul suggested that I take up the post of DJ. This piqued my interest because I've always wanted to have control over the music. Music, at least, is one aspect of swing I will never lose passion for. So I took up the challenge last night at the Handlebar. I had more fun being the DJ than I have had at a dance in months! It was a blast! I got to pick the songs from my personal music collection. I had a great view of the dance floor from my DJ hiding place behind the sound board. I loved watching the floor fill up with dancers after starting a great song. I was a little surprised at first at how well everyone seemed to enjoy my music. "They like it," I thought, while grinning inwardly.
I met lots of new people this way too. Dancers kept coming up to me asking "What was that last song you just played?" [On a side note to Nelly: I played a song from your Mango CD (Sister Kate by the Ditty Bops) and at least 5 people asked what it was. It was a huge hit!] I even danced a few songs for good measure. :)

I couldn't make it through the evening without at least one screw-up though. When we were ready to shut down for the evening I told Paul that I would play "Last Call", which is what he usually plays last. But before I could cue it up, he started picking on me saying that I could use his "last song" this time, but I had to come up with my own "last song" for next time. It only took a millisecond for itunes to shuffle to a new song when I wasn't paying attention. So, itunes picked my last song for me. Yes, I hate to admit it, but the last song I played was "Summer Girls" by LFO. I think I've had that song since high school. What's even funnier is that they actually danced to it! I am still laughing to myself. :) Hilarious.

So, now that I am a DJ, I need a rad DJ name. I am open to suggestions. Please, everyone, post your nominations!



(Photos of DJ me at the Handlebar)

4 comments:

brittany said...

man, those are some sweet pics.

you were a great DJ...im very disappointed i missed LFO though; i will confess i love that song.

Melissa said...

Brittany,

thanks for the love!

I'll play LFO for you the next time I see you. :)

Jenelle said...

DJ Sultana! As in, the sultan of swing. I'm very happy to hear that the Mango made it to the dancefloor. Woooo!

Anonymous said...

dj MELicious
dj MELodious
umm...dj melfy, but we couldn't tell anyone what that one means!
hopefully, i'll make it to swing next week to catch your tunes!