Thursday, October 18, 2007

Over the Rhine Live: Round One

(Photo by Brittany Holcombe)

ROUND ONE: DING!

Last night I had the great privilege of seeing Over the Rhine live in concert with my friend Brittany at The Grey Eagle in Asheville, NC. This was the second time I've seen OtR in concert and I have to say: they just keep getting better and better! I really like The Grey Eagle as a venue because its cozy. There's a bar in the back and couches up front. It was like having Karin and Linford in my living room. Talk about incredible acoustics too. Live music is one of those experiences that is unparalleled in my opinion. I absolutely love it.

Before I go any further with this blog, I have to mention, that Brittany and I ate dinner at this funky little place called "Eatie's Cereal Bar." They had all kinds of old school cereal and you can just fill your bowl up with whatever you want and then pick your milk. They had yellow booths and a big screen that played old Saturday morning cartoons in the back. I felt like a kid again! If you haven't tried a cereal bar lately, I highly recommend it. I had a combination of random cereals, but I think I was most excited about the fruity pebbles. :)

OK, on to the highlights:

  • New discovery of the evening: ROSIE THOMAS. Where has this girl been hiding all my life? It was by far one of the best opening acts I've seen in awhile. Her lyrics were piercing and honest and her music was tender and mellow. She was really cute and funny too. One odd observation though: her talking voice sounds nothing like her singing voice. She has this high pitched, cute, girly talking voice and then this soulful, Sarah-McLaughlin-esque singing voice. She also sews aprons and sells them with her other merchandise. Moral of this story: Rosie Thomas rocks. Buy her CD. I did. :)

  • The lineup: We had fair seats, but about 5 songs before the end some people left from the front row. So, we slipped up to the front for an incredible view. It was perfect timing too because the very next song happened to be in my top 3 OtR songs - "Suitcase" from Ohio. The lineup was a good mix but was naturally weighted with songs from "The Trumpet Child." I think they played 2 songs from Ohio, 1 from Drunkard's prayer, a couple of great covers (including "Fever" and "Orphan Girl" also two of my favorites) and the rest were from "The Trumpet Child."

  • Favorite Comments from the Band: Linford described the title song "The Trumpet Child" as a mixture of his growing up around old hymns and his love for the great trumpeters of the 20th century like Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis. He said that he's always wondered what God's great trumpet call in the end will sound like - in his words, "What's on God's iPod?" He said this was their very own "jazz hymn." It was so incredible it gave me chill bumps. Karin made some excellent comments about their visit to the White House. When asked what they wanted to say to people in their music, she responded with, "you don't have to live life in fear."

  • Best Moment: It's hard to pick a "best moment" when Karin wails like she does on every song, melting your heart and taking your breath away. But, I'm gonna have to say that when Karin pulled out an old burnt metal cookie sheet and started playing it like a tambourine in "Don't Wait For Tom", I knew it doesn't get much better than this. Only this band could pull that off and still be classy!

(photo of Karin playing the cookie sheet by Brittany Holcombe)

I bought two t-shirts and got a free concert tour poster. I also bought Rosie's CD. I can't decide which shirt I'm going to wear to the show at the Handlebar on Friday night. I think I'll wear the red one. Red is a good color. I feel like an OTR groupie for going to two shows in the same week. But I like being a groupie... I am already gearing up for round two!!

DING DING!

2 comments:

brittany said...

i like being a groupie as well.

joy said...

fruity pebbles were on sale at publix two weeks ago. there's a box in my cabinet :)