Wednesday, October 03, 2007

breakfast hope


I had breakfast with Toby, my pastor, this morning. Here is an example of God's incredible grace and goodness. I get to eat eggs and grits with my pastor at 7am on a Wednesday morning, just because I asked. I love having a pastor who is my friend and a spiritual father and mentor at the same time. After I talked about all things I struggle with, namely feeling like the most selfish person on the planet (which in fact is an expression of me being selfish!), and laughing at myself, getting frustrated, and laughing some more Toby said some things, that as always, will stick with me.

He said, "You know, you're not the only one who struggles with this. And you're not doing so bad as you think. I can see the cynicism in your eyes, but trust me, there is hope."

I left thinking about what E. Prentiss says in "Stepping Heavenward": Stop dwelling on the past. If I did not love God yesterday as I should, I can start now. I can begin again today, because as many times as I fail, he still loves me. I am unfaithful, but He loves me! I don't obey him, but he loves me! I am selfish and impatient, but he loves me! I am a sinner, but he loves me!

I think I really need to let this sink in all over again. I need to remind myself of these truths every morning. Starting over today has made a difference in my level of peace and joy. I've not "arrived" yet, but I'm still walking on the road..
Here is a great hymn that is singing in my heart:

Father long before creation,
Thou hast chosen us in love.
And Thy love so deep, so moving,
Draws us close to Christ above.
Still it keeps us, still it keeps us
Firmly fixed in Christ alone!

Though the world may change its fashion,
Yet our God is ever the same.
His compassion and His covenant,
Through all ages will remain.
God's own children, God's own children
Must forever praise His name!

God's compassion is my story,
Is my boasting all the day.
Mercy free and never failing,
Moves my will, directs my way.
God so loved us, God so loved us,
That His only son He gave!

Loving Father now before Thee,
We will ever praise Thy love.
And our songs will sound unceasing
Till we reach our home above.
Giving glory, giving glory,
To our God and to the Lamb!

Giving glory, giving glory to our God and to the Lamb!!!!

No comments: