Saturday, October 13, 2007

mountain air, strong coffee, and jennster von loves-a-lot-son


I rose early this morning and drove to the mountains. The morning sun streamed down through a canopy of the brightest green as I wound my way through the countryside leading up to Tryon, NC. At the end of the road I was met with fresh mountain air, a pot of strong coffee brewing, and my dear friend, Jenny Morris, aka Jennster von Loves-a-lot-son. This is a rare treat for me because Jenny lives far away in Memphis. Luckily her folks live in Tryon, only a 45 minute drive away from me. She was home this weekend, so I jumped at the chance to see her.

We poured our coffee and sat on her parents' back porch which has one of the most incredible views I've seen this side of Colorado. We talked about life, God, boys, and old friends among other things. We seem to both be settling into the idea that life isn't about where we used to be or where we want to be but rather where we are right now. I suppose life has many seasons and those season are always changing, but it helps to know what season you are in, so you can embrace it fully. We both agreed that we are in a season of singleness and as much as everyone around us seems to think this is not such a great thing, we're both realizing that it isn't such a terrible season. There's beauty in it, adventure, quietness and hope. I want to live in the present without dwelling on what used to be, or what will maybe one day be. I came across this verse this morning in Isaiah. I found it to be quite fitting:

"Forget the former things; Do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now, it springs up; Do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." (Isaiah 43:18-19)

We also talked about music, writing, and blogging. Yes, I admit it, I am a total blog-nerd-internet-junkie-woman. But, if you are one of those too, then you should check out this website that Jenny showed me. Its her friend Amy's blog and she has some amazing thoughts to share. Jenny also introduced me to a new band. I like their sound a lot. Check out Newcomers Home.

It was such a sweet time. I miss her already.

How is it that some people always make you feel at home? I've felt more at home in the presence of dear friends like Jenny than I have sometimes felt in my own house.
God is so good for giving me such a wonderful happy Saturday gift. :)

I want to be more grateful than I am.

5 comments:

Jenelle said...

How many Jennster-esque jokes did you make about getting to Tryon safely? I would've faked getting lost multiple times and called her. "I'm tryin! Where's Tryon!)

It made me happy to think of you two together. We got Jennster on Facebook, now we've just gotta get her on Blogger.

Jenelle said...

maybe you could put her face on a milkcarton or something...

Melissa said...

Nelly,

I am surprised at myself for not making more jennster jokes in that post - i guess I was in too much of a sentimental mood! That was an awesome "tryon/tryin" joke!

Jennster was still "killing me softly" as always though... :)

And you are the one and only milk carton girl nelly! I'll have to think of a different tribute for the jennster.

joy said...

home for me is so much more about who i'm with than it is about where i am. your post warmed my heart, because i know that deep gratitude of spending time with friends whom i love dearly. thanks for sharing :) isn't God wonderful for crossing our paths with dear people that make our hearts happy?

Melissa said...

joy

We have an incredibly good God. :)

I guess this would be an appropriate place to coin that cheesy old phrase, "home is where your heart is." :)