Friday, May 04, 2007

david gray and a cup of tea


Today has been one of those days that seem so long its hard to remember when it began. Nothing particularly eventful happened. I got up this morning and went to work. Then I followed my usual Friday evening routine of meeting up with a few dear friends for pizza and pints after work. But although it seemed a bit mundane on the one hand, on the other I felt a certain level of peace today that I haven't known for quite some time. It has got me to thinking: maybe its ok that I am not always excited, chasing the big dream, or living on the edge. Maybe its ok that I haven't "arrived" at some imaginary place where all my life's ambitions are playing out.

Today I have felt more than content. Today I have felt satisfied; Free; At rest. I came home tonight and my roommate put on one of our favorite albums : David Gray's "Lost Songs." She made me a cup of tea before heading off to bed. My mentor Karen is always saying to me, "Mel, Jesus really is enough for you. He is more than enough." I think I'm finally beginning to experience what that really means. It's ok that I am single. It's ok that I am not rich. It's ok that I'm no longer in Germany and it's ok that I miss it. Because He is more than enough. He is enough, and still He gives me wonderful things like the sound of David Gray picking the guitar and a warm cup of tea.

"I will run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." Psalm 119:32

(Photo of painting by Janina Tukarski Ellis) - http://www.janinaellis.com/

No comments: