Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Mother of Lindy


I received a phone call on Monday afternoon that brought great joy and change into my life all at once. My old college roommate, Mary, was calling to tell me she had found me a puppy! For years I have longed to have a Border Collie, but I have never been in a position to actually adopt one. Either I didn't have enough money, or enough space, or enough time. Its interesting how God works all things together for good. I wasn't expecting the puppy to come this week, but she came. I wasn't expecting the money to be available this week, but my tax return came and it was surprisingly larger than I was expecting. It was the perfect amount I needed to bring home a puppy. My landlord and my roommate were supportive, and my new job now enables me to have a schedule that is conducive to raising a puppy!


So she arrived late on Monday night, and I am the proudest puppy mama in the world! She is even more beautiful than I ever imagined, and I am surprised at how much I love her more each day. She is super smart too! Only 10 weeks old and she learned to SIT and play frisbee in just one day! Although she is a bundle of love and fun, she is also a bundle of work! I feel as though this is perfect preparation for me before I have kids one day. She requires lots of attention, training, exercise, and love. I think she may even break me of my bad habit of sleeping in! I've been up two mornings before 6am and I have been exhausted with pouring into my little baby girl. I am really starting to feel it now. But, I know it will be worth it. Just like children, though it is difficult sometimes to invest so much time and energy, the return is too great to measure. I hope that I will be a puppy mother and that God will use this as one way to prepare me for true motherhood. I long for motherhood more and more these days it seems. Does that mean I'm getting old? :)


I named my puppy Lindy, after my favorite swing dance, the Lindy Hop. The name is fitting, for she loves to hop around in the yard and is full of life and excitement! Perhaps one day I will teach her to dance!


I love God's surprises - they are always better than anything I could ever have expected...

3 comments:

Jenelle said...

Bemvinda, Lindy! Did you know that "linda" in Portuguese means "Beautiful"?

God's surprises are so nice.

Nice to find you blogging again! Your header looks lovely. OTR quote is very appropriate, too.

Melissa said...

I guess her name is more fitting than I originally thought, for beautiful she certainly is! :)

Jenelle said...

I'm trying to post this comment to your "chasing time" post, but can't find the comment button, for some reason.

Mel, you're a good girl for learning how it is that you need to play and rest. May you be free from the unruly pressure to get everything accomplished.