Thursday, July 31, 2008

Coyotes and Collaboration These Latter Days...


The entire campus was rudely awaken this morning around 5:24 AM by coyotes. I remember because I sat up straight in the bed with a jerk, my ears ringing, and looked at the clock. I think the most shocking thing about the coyotes was how loud they were. It sounded like a pack of hyenas had literally entered the building and set off the fire alarm. I'd never heard a coyote before and I can tell you they don't sound anything like I expected. I expected them to sound like dogs, or perhaps like howling werewolves. They sound like screaming hyenas. Their voices cut through the night and echoed back and forth as if they were bouncing around inside of a giant metal bell. It was pretty creepy, I have to admit.

However creepy my awakening may have been, the day only got better. We listened to more of each other's songs in class today and then were divided into groups to collaborate on writing a song to present to the class on Saturday. I got in a group with Eva, Ben, and Deborah. Deborah is local, and had to go to work this afternoon so Eva, Ben and I spent 3 hours throwing ideas around and we came up with a collaborative song that I really like. I feel honored to have had the opportunity to create something with these talented artists. Its funny how these things transpire. I would never have expected the song to come out the way it did, but it morphed into a life of its own and reflects a piece of each of us. We've still got to polish the harmonies, and I'm going to attempt at adding some piano to the mix. We'll probably add a second guitar as well. Once its completely finished I will post the lyrics, and maybe a rough recording if someone with a mac can tape it for us. For now, I'll leave you with the title, to wet your appetites. We call it: "Paper Places."

I went to dinner at the Cowgirl Hall of Fame with some of my new friends. I had fish tacos. They were bueno. Then we carpooled to hear Over the Rhine play in concert. This was a unique experience because it was just the two of them on stage. They have a completely different dynamic without the band. I felt like I could have been in their living room. I like it. :) Robert Deeble, who is participating in the songwriting class, opened. He's got a great sound and is just a super nice guy. Check out his music here.

Yesterday at lunch I mentioned to Karin and Linford that their song, Latter Days, helped me get through one of the hardest years of my life - the year I moved back from Germany. I've seen them play numerous times in the last 3 years but never heard them perform that song. When they came back out on stage for the encore at the end of the show Karin said they would end with a song from their album, Good Dog Bad Dog. My heart rose in my throat as an excited hope swelled that they might play Latter Days. My hopes were realized. As soon as Linford played the first chord and Karin sang the first line, "What a beautiful piece of heartache..." the painful yet wonderful memories of my last few months in Munich came rushing in while the tears fell. I cried through the whole song and it was the most beautiful I've ever heard it. Those 3 minutes will go down in history with the most touching experiences of my life. I gave Linford and Karin a big hug after the show and thanked them. I'm not sure if they played it just for me or not. (Probably not.) But nonetheless I feel it was a gift and was not by accident. It was the perfect end to the perfect day. Tonight really made my week.

I'm going hiking tomorrow after breakfast with my new friend, Liz. Hopefully we won't run into any wild coyotes or poisonous lizards on the trail. :)


(Linford Detweiler, piano wizard)


(Karin Berquist, voice from another world.)

(Eva, Robert Deeble, and Me)

1 comment:

brittany said...

i am SO jealous, but so happy for you, mel!