Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sun Day = Run Day = Fun Day


I love warm sunny days like today. And now with the saving of the sun I am joyfully surprised again that its so bright outside, even at 7 pm. I decided that a day such as today was a perfect day for a run. So at approximately 6:22 pm I set out on my little neighborhood course under a big blue sky.

For those of you who may be gasping, "Wait...MEL?? RUN??? What about her life motto of 'I hate running'?" Yes, shocking as it may seem, I have finally found the joy of running. I started out slowly, and I'm still working my way up to hopefully being able to run for 30 minutes solid. This week I'm running in intervals of 5 minutes and 3 minutes with walk breaks for a total time of 30 minutes. A couple of weeks ago I participated in my first ever 5k race. I didn't run the whole time, but I think I did pretty well finishing in 37 minutes and 45 seconds. Not too shabby. And the best part is that I had a blast.

I try to change my course a little bit each week so that I don't get bored with the scenery. Tonight I went up my street and over to Azalea Court where I first passed the house with the insta-green-spray-on-lawn. The yard looks like its covered in fur the color that copper turns when it oxidizes. I like to think of it like those spray-on tans, except for grass. I wonder which would look worse in my yard: copper green spray grass or the current muddy slab covered in holes with shards of demolished grass hanging onto to the last possible semblance of life? These are deep curious ponderings...

Next I pass the house I like to call "House of a Thousand Daffodils." I just want to pause here to say that I think daffodils are one of the happiest flowers God made. They just grin at the sky with gladness and wave at me when I run past. Every time I go by that house I want to run over in the yard a pick a whole bouquet full of yellow smiles to take home with me.

Then I circle around on the main road past the Taco Casa (which smells strangely like the state fair to me... maybe its the fried grease...), Fresh Market, Fire Station and 3 dentist offices all in a row until I make it back into the neighborhood. Then I repeat.

As I came down the final stretch towards my house tonight I was thanking God for simple pleasures like running, daffodils and spray-on-grass that make me giggle.

I think running is good for the soul for many reasons, but particularly because it is a metaphor for life and I like metaphors. So I'll end this rambling post with good advice on running (and living) from Shakespeare:

"Wisely and slow; they stumble that run fast." (Romeo & Juliet Act II: scene 3)

(Photo by Zed.cat)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just have to say, it is ALWAYS a pleasure reading your posts, I miss it when you're gone. I am glad you have been running. I used to run a lot, it was always a good time, and I think I may start again soon . . . especially with the turn of the weather. - thanks for your thoughts -

joy said...

props to you. i truly truly hate running.

Melissa said...

@ joy - anyone who has known me for a long time can attest to this - i hated running for forever... HATED it. and I never understood why so many people loved it - it seemed like self-inflicted torture to me... BUT - I've been changed just by trying with an open mind and a desire.. there is JOY in it!!! :) strange I know, but if you ever give it a shot, you may find that you like it more than you think. :) glad you're back safe and sound dear one!

Anonymous said...

I truly hated running for many years. And now I am addicted to endorphins.

It'll happen. You're a good girl. Congrats on the 5k.

Your words are pretty.

Melissa said...

@nelly
I love the endorphin high... its so awesome. :)