Wednesday, August 20, 2008

the world can wait


Lately my life seems to be spinning faster than the earth. I don't know why I feel constant pressure to "fill up" every moment of my time and energy with extra-curricular activities, people pleasing, and to-do lists. Tonight is the first night that I have rested since I returned from my vacation in Santa Fe. It seems odd that I would come home from a week long Sabbath only to disregard the principle in my "regular" life. But then again, this is a part of being human I suppose.

This evening I've found refreshment in simple things: washing dishes; reading old letters and journals; throwing a tennis ball; walking barefoot in the damp grass; listening to new music; letting the porch fan sweep a warm night breeze through my hair; meditating on a psalm.

I need more nights like tonight. I need to live in slow motion. I want to savor the genuine moments of connecting with other people. I smile inside when I think of these rare gifts. I don't want them to pass me by. I want to protect the Sabbath in my life.

Life is too short not to go deep. The world can wait....

(Photo by DOS82)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sister!! way to pull from an OTR tune by the way ;) one of my favorites too . . . I am right there with you, finding things spinning way too fast here at home, and wishing I had time to catch up, rest, breathe a little- thanks for the inspiring post, and especially for putting that song title into perspective - I think I'll go give it a spin now :)

Melissa said...

@Emmett - glad you caught the reference. :) thanks for being a faithful reader.