Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ever clearer...

"The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them, was longing. These things -- the beauty, the memory of our own past -- are good reflections of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself, they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshippers. For they are not the thing itself, they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited."
-C.S. Lewis

Jesus - Emmanuel - God with us,
This is my request: give me clarity in my longing! Father, hear my prayer.

"Thy purpose of eternal good let me but surely know;
On this I'll lean -- let changing mood and feeling come or go --
Glad when Thy sunshine fills my soul, not sad when clouds o'ercast,
Since Thou within Thy sure control of love dost hold me fast."
-John Campbell Shairp

1 comment:

brittany said...

The service this morning got me too.

i am praying for you.